Monday, August 3, 2020

Ascendance Of A Bookworm S1+S2 (Series rating: 10/10)




Motosu Urano was a shy bookworm who enjoyed reading more then anything. One day she was killed by books. While that is ironic, what was even more ironic was that her soul was transported into another world and put in the body of a little girl. Said word has no books. It’s basically hell for Main (yes, that IS how you write her name, it’s マイン). To top it all off, her body is very frail and can’t endure much physical activity. But that will not stop her from getting books. So join Main as she creates shampoo, works to invent printing presses and revolutionizes this medieval world. Oh, and there’s magic, politics and classism. Now if only Main could stop making bedroom eyes to every young man she meets…

I must admit that I passed on this show when it first started. I didn’t think I could be interested in a show about creating books. And this is why the three-episodes-rule exists. I fell in love with this show. I love the world, I love the characters and I love the story. I absolutely adore Mine, one of the best female protagonists I’ve seen in a long time. She’s a treasure-trove of facial expressions and I love how she bungles her way into pretty much upgrading the whole damn kingdom. Also, she’s way more powerful then you might think. Of course, no main character (get it, Main-main?) is able to carry a whole show and make it work, but Main has some top-tier back-up, from the head priest, to the merchant to “her” childhood friend. Ferdinand, Benno and Lutz are all great as well. What are you waiting for? Go watch this anime. It sparks joy. There’s comedy, there’s drama, there’s even a bit of action. Also Iguchi Yuka has an amazing vocal range, going from sweet as sugar to cold as ice in a second. Basically, don’t get between Main and books. Also, season 3 has been announced.

Subtitles are from Erai. I put in extra effort to make sure all signs are properly timed. This show deserves it. Includes both seasons and the OVA, in airing order.

No comments:

Post a Comment