Saturday, June 27, 2020

Kishin Douji Zenki (Series rating: 6/10)

Hundreds of years ago, the great priest Ozunu Enno fought off the demon goddess Karuma. Once the seal was in place, he also sealed his most powerful servant, Zenki. Zenki’s seal should be removed when the evils of Karuma would once again show themselves. This task befalls his descendant, Chiaki Enno. Evil seeds of the demon goddess have appeared and possess anyone weak enough to fall prey to their promises. Now Chiaki must unseal Zenki and together vanquish the evil once of for all. One problem though: Zenki hates taking orders and doesn’t really like humans that much. And Chiaki’s not a very skilled priestess. Good think Ozunu put a double seal on Zenki so he couldn’t just do whatever he wanted once awakened. Now Chiaki and Zenki are stuck together and must learn to get along, or die.

Another remux. This is an old, not that popular show from the mid 90s. I liked it enough, but it does have some problems. It’s an action fantasy show with a heavy Japanese mysticism feel to it. It’s great if you love youkain and onmyoujis. It’s very similar to Inuyasha (yes, I’m still working on that). I guess that’s why I liked it. Hell, Zenki and Inuyasha share the same voice actor. My problem with Zenki is that it has a very slow start, the second half is kind of… meh… and it has this talent of wasting time. Especially with the reused animation. Does the same thing TOEI does: at least once an episode you have a long transformation sequence. Gets worse in the second half where you can have two, plus another one for summoning the special weapon. Still, I enjoyed it. The first opening is a complete banger. VAJURA ON!

The video source is from the R1 release, as such so are the subtitles. Internal vobsubs.
This release contains some extras, so let me explain:
  1. Kishin Douji Zenki Softsubs.zip. This archive contains sotfsubs. I did not make them. They are from another release. They are timed to this release, but I have no verified them, just gave them the same style. Use at your own risk. It’s for those people that complain about vobsubs. Don’t expect this for every release that uses vobsubs though. I’m not putting any extra effort, these were just already available.
  2. “Things Missing From The R1 Release” folder. Literally that. For some reason, the extras from the Japanese release were only ever released in Japan and China. The reast of the world never got the 2nd opening, or the 2nd and 3rd endings. The only available copy of these extras are from the DVD rip of Simu. Sadly, it’s a very bad upscale. Look for yourself: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/77ZZGNNX
  3. Gaiden OVA. Zenki had an OVA. It does not fit into the timeline of the anime or the manga. It’s also not that well animated but it does have Chiaki’s boobs. Sadly, it’s quite rare. You can either watch a very low bitrate/resolution version with bad audio or an upscale with washed out over-cropped video. Pick your poison.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. This is one of my personal favorite anime that I watch a long time ago(judging from my avatar). It's kinda popular in my country of origin, The Philippines, since I'm living now in the US. For me it's an oldie but goodie series. Unlike you, I love the transformation sequences. I know it's a long shot but I hope Japan releases a complete HD collection of this if they could still find their master copy for this.

    ReplyDelete